His Needs, Her Needs for Parents: Keeping Romance Alive
Finding time to laugh together, talk with each other, and enjoy each other's company came easy when it was just the two of you. But then you had children.
Soon all you laughed about was your toddler's antics and all you talked about was your child's latest accomplishments. Quiet dinners and romantic evenings disappeared in the wake of school projects, potty training, and middle-of-the-night feedings. And juggling work, family life, and household errands now leaves you too exhausted to even think at the end of the day.
If marriage and parenting leave you feeling overwhelmed, you're not alone. Most couples feel the way you do after children arrive. But don't let the pressures of parenthood ruin your marriage. Don't let the care you give your children prevent you from caring for each other. Instead, keep your marriage healthy -- and your children happy -- by making each other your top priority.
Dr. Willard Harley gives you the tools you need to meet two important goals: staying in love and helping your children thrive. In fact, you'll find the two go hand in hand. Doing what it takes to stay in love with each other will help your children grow up to be happy and successful. And raising children the right way will help you build a love that lasts a lifetime.
Following the pattern of the best-selling His Needs, Her Needs, this book guides both new and seasoned parents through specific, practical steps for raising happy and successful children while sustaining a great marriage. Dr. Harley gives his expert advice on:
- romance as essential in marriage
- meeting intimate emotional needs
- agreeing on values and child-training methods
- finding time for everything that's important
- dividing household tasks fairly
- handling kids with ADHD
- dealing with intrusive in-laws
It isn't easy to keep a marriage passionate. And with children underfoot it can seem downright impossible. But if you take Dr. Harley's advice, you can have it all -- happy children and a terrific marriage.
Table of Contents
1. And Then There Were Three: Are Children a Threat to Your Marriage?
Part I: Romantic Relationships 101
2. Whats Love Got to Do with It? Why Romance Matters
3. Just Between You and Me: Intimate Emotional Needs
4. Love Takes Time: The Policy of Undivided Attention
5. Love Bankruptcy: When Love Busters Break the Bank
6. Declaration of Interdependence: The Policy of Joint Agreement
Part II: A United Approach to Parenting
7. Ready for Kids: Deciding to Expand Your Family
8. Rules of the House: Deciding on Child-Training Goals and Methods
9. The Time Factor: Practicing the Policy of Undivided Attention
10. His Work, Her Work: How to Divide Domestic Responsibilities
11. Parenting Takes Time: How to Be a Committed Mom and Dad
Part III: Special Cases
12. Mixed Families, Blended Lives: From Discord to Harmony
13. Disorder or Gift? How to Deal with AD/HD
14. When Grandma Wont Let Go: Dealing with Intrusive In-Laws
15. Love Is Fragile, Handle with Care: For Lovers Who Are Parents
Appendix A: The Most Important Emotional Needs
Appendix B: Time for Undivided Attention Work Sheet
Appendix C: Time for Undivided Attention Graph
We Also Recommend
His Needs, Her Needs: Building an Affair-proof Marriage
Love Busters: Protect Your Marriage by Replacing Love-Busting Patterns with Love-Building Habits
His Needs, Her Needs: Building an Affair-Proof Marriage (A Six-Session Study DVD)
Five Steps to Romantic Love: A Workbook for Readers of Love Busters and His Needs, Her Needs